Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thinking about Drinking

So here's my dilemma...I am sort of domestic without the benefits of domesticity, thus I resort to regaining my youth and independence with alcohol. However, I am no longer a spring chicken and alcohol doesn't quite flow through me the same way it used to. In fact, I think I can actually hear my liver screaming after three beers. I don't get "drunk" like I used to either. A six-pack would have made me happy-go-lucky-Laura, now it just makes me sleepy. Now, if I have half a bottle of tequila...I'm sloppy-slurry-Laura as opposed to my younger days of dancing the night away. My friends and I had a 40oz to Freedom party last weekend and played a game called Edward-40-Hands. This is a very interesting game of torture in which you duct tape 40's to your hands and drink til they are gone. I love the idea and, in theory, I should be able to handle it but the next day I woke up wishing I had duct taped my mouth shut instead. My head was pounding and my body felt 20 lbs heavier. I used to drink, smoke and use lots of drugs...all the time...and never felt so crappy the next day. Maybe it is because I only do it on occasion that my body rejects it so much more. Or I'm getting old. Either way, I have to find a solution. Maybe I should drink really expensive alcohol to avoid the hangover or drink cheap alcohol more often...or stop drinking. I'm interested in any feedback. I know there are a few alch-ies out there who can help me find the balance or at least recommend a good hangover remedy.

No comments: