Tuesday, December 22, 2009

New Year, New Blog

We all leave the west coast tomorrow; headed to Atlanta for Christmas. I have never wanted a vacation quite like I WANT this vacation. I asked the girls all day who we were going to see tomorrow.....just so I could hear them run through every name in the family. They even listed some people we aren't going see but it was so cute, I didn't correct them.

It's going to be 2010 in a few weeks and I've decided, after careful consideration, to change this blog. It will no longer be about drunken escapades...sorry Mis, I know how you love those......but from now on this will be "Letters for my Girls." I haven't decided if these letters will include ALL my girls, but for sure all the baby girls in my life. Often times during the day I think about what I will say to the girls when they get older and ask me questions. I think about the kind of questions they will be asking. I think about how I would have wanted someone to explain it to me when I asked those same questions. I think about it a lot and I just don't have enough space in my brain to hold onto these answers. Thus, a new blog is born.

So.....here goes......Letter One:

One day a hare (that's a bunny) saw a tortoise walking slowly along and began to laugh and mock him. The hare challenged the tortoise to a race and the tortoise accepted. They agreed on a route and started off the race. The hare shot ahead and ran briskly for some time. Then seeing that he was far ahead of the tortoise, he thought he'd sit under a tree for some time and relax before continuing the race.

He sat under the tree and soon fell asleep. The tortoise, plodding on, overtook him and finished the race. The hare woke up and realized that he had lost the race.

Slow and steady wins the race.

...sometimes.

This is a great story but I think that it is ambitious to possess the inner peace of a tortoise. May I suggest a turtle instead. Turtles can live most their life on land or live most of it in water. (Even sea turtles come to land to give birth) The KEY word here is MOST. Turtles have a balance. Slow and steady on land...fast like lightening in the water! When I moved to L.A., I had two red-eared sliders. They were no bigger than a quarter when I got them. These turtles spent their time on a rock under a heat lamp and then dive into the water and chill for a while.

I think it works sometimes to go slow and steady. But sometimes life comes at you fast and if you don't get some speed it will knock you over. Sometimes you can't always find the motivation to keep going at the same pace. Sometimes you're gonna need to rest. Sometimes the damn bunny wakes up and wins at the very last minute. Forget the bunny----Think about the turtles.

Aunt LaLa's words of wisdom:

When the rock gets too hot, get in the water
When the water makes you tired, get on the rock.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I personally like your words of wisdom. But how old do you think the girls will need to be to comprehend your zen post?

Aunt LaLa said...

Not sure, Sheila, what do you think? 29 maybe? :) I know that I probably won't remember it when they do need it and thus, they can refer to the blog.