Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ahh...Facebook

I recently joined Facebook.com, which I was hesitant to do because my relationship with Myspace sort of fizzled out, and I find it intriguing. It amazes me how many hours I could spend looking for people. Everyone from people that I haven't seen or heard from in years to my family members I see in the next room..everyone seems to be on facebook. I joined two days ago and I already have 7 friends. That's another thing...it is misleading to call the people you are connected to on the internet your "friends". If we don't talk regularly and if you haven't seen me in years...we aren't "friends", we know each other. Maybe at one point we were friends and when we see each other again we could reacquaint ourselves but currently..not friends. I think it is to build confidence in us by thinking we have lots of friends when we really just know a lot people. Call me crazy but I miss conversations. Actual conversations, in which people have to speak to one another, using real language (not this ttyl, tmi, omg, lol, ttfn-crap) with real emotion. Back in the day you could at least count on telemarketers to talk to but now, recordings call me and ask me about my morgage. Soon we will have a completely emotionless society with children who can only communicate electronically. Sorry..my cynical side is showing. Back to Facebook. Here's a question: What if high school really sucked for you and seeing all those people triggers some sort of nervous breakdown forcing you into a mental institution? Could you sue Facebook for damages? They should put a signing clause into the registration stating that Facebook is not libel for any stress those f-ing bitches put you through and that by joining you are waving your right to keep your skeletons in your closet.
Ah well, at least now my family and friends have something to look at...after reading my blog...and checking their email from me...and listening to their voicemail. The internet...you can log off any time you want, but you can never leave!

No comments: