Monday, December 1, 2008

The age of internet

So..the Schwartz/Stockton household has had nein internet for the past few days and my, have things been tense. I don't know what we did before the ability to look up any and every question we had because now the inability to do so is making us all a little cranky. Fortunately, we are back online and feeling much more connected. I found it rather nice not to check my email for a few days, but it was difficult to do without my friend GOOGLE. I think everyone should have to experience a few days without internet a month, forcing us to give up our dependancy on the information super highway. It's clearly an addiction and it can tear families apart. (that last bit was to solidify my place in the family as the dramatic one)

In addition...I am thinking about going back to school to become a Montessori teacher. Any thoughts? My intention is to follow the girls as far in life as possible. I think their first day of Kindergarten, I will have to be removed from the school grounds in a straight jacket. They are getting so big. Maitlyn walked tonight, not stepped, but actually put steps together in a line to make a walk towards me. It was a pretty cool sight. Andrea and I were very impressed.

I'm off to scratch the information itch...

5 comments:

Grrpa said...

Oh, honey, I don't think you have to worry about solidifying your place....
What a great aspiration to teach children. But I thought you didn't like them after they started talking? Guess you just had to find the right ones. :)
Love Dad
P.S. the expression is "kein" Internet (not sure if that's a feminine or masculine noun--has elements of both). You could also say "ohne" Internet, meaning without it. But it's good to see you're trying with the grandmother tongue.

Sheila said...

Beg to differ with Rick, but "nein" means no (to me) or none, in this case, which makes perfect sense.
I congratulate you, my step daughter-in-law for surviving on Colby Ave in what must have been a terrible time of deprivation for those involved....

Grrpa said...

Beg all you like and differ as much as you feel like it, but equating the two words "nein" and "kein" is like saying "no" means "none." It might in English--Yes, we have no bananas--but a German would never say that. A small nit, yet aren't those the ones that get picked.

Aunt LaLa said...

Whether nein or kein, the point is 6 days without internet makes Colby Ave a very tense place. See how it's affecting you two. It's spreading...

Grrpa said...

Point taken. Sorry, Sheila. The original observation was intended for edification, not argumentation.