Monday, December 15, 2008

A thought about love songs...

Have you ever heard John Mayer's song "Come Back to Bed"? I was listening to it the other day, (Side-note: I don't really like John Mayer's love songs anymore due to this one specific lyric) and I know that he is a womanizer without any real talent but he was nice to listen to when I wanted to feel sexy. Nevertheless, about halfway through the song he sings:
'No, I won't sleep through this/ I survive on the breath you are finished with'
Maybe I'm getting too old because I think I really found this romantic in my younger years but now it makes me cringe. Does anyone else think he slept through biology? I want to yell at the computer.."Uhh..no you won't because the breath I'm finished with is carbon dioxide so unless you are a ficus, you're fucked!" I get the sentiment and I'm not embittered by a recent break-up, I just think it's lame. Give it to me straight. Just say, "I'm a creep and I'm sorry" Like Syl Johnson in "I Hate that I Walked Away". The chorus starts with
'You got the right to be disgusted/After all you trusted me and I was just a fool'
Perfect. To the point and it validates my feelings...much better than this ideological bullshit that men are expected to spout nowadays. No wonder the divorce rate is so high. Blame John Mayer and those like him. MEN: If you want to know how to talk to a woman, listen to the greats: Sam Cooke, Jimmie Ruffin, Otis Redding, Syl Johnson and the like. Forget that 'I'll never let your head/ Hit the bed/without my hand behind it'...crap. That's not what real love is made of. Real love is 'To say, it's time to go/And she says, yes I know/But just stay one minute mo'/That's where it's at'

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great point. Sometimes it gets a little creepy with these lyrics.

"you can pee on me / so you don't have to leave the bed / I'd die without your urine / baby"


Also, I don't think insecurity is the best way to impress a loved one. All this "can't liiiiiiiiive if living is without yooouuuuu" bullshit is old.

see you soon L.

Aunt LaLa said...

I know, right! I'm not sure that the 'pee on me' lyrics are John Mayer's but I see your point. I can't wait to see you next week bro! We have lots to catch up on.

Unknown said...

I think you're just bitter :)

Aunt LaLa said...

your comment made me want to blog:)