Monday, January 19, 2009

This one goes out to my single ladies....hello? single ladies?

When you have been single for as long as I have been single...you start to develop interesting habits. For example, for the past week I have been doing laundry, folding it and putting it nicely in the space next to me on my bed. It's a little weird. I sleep on half my bed while my clothes occupy the other half. I could very well put my folded laundry into the drawers where it belongs but instead I just leave it next to me. What makes it more strange is that when I get up in the morning, I go to the drawers for my clothes for the day. I have done this periodically in my two and half years of singleness. I'm not sure why. I'm sure psychologists would say that I am filling some sort of void but I am really happy in my single-hood. (As you can see, I am testing out which word for "single" best fits my situation) It's not as if I am lazy either. I go through the trouble of washing my clothes, folding them and organizing them into categories, I just leave them on "their" side of the bed. Maybe that's it. Maybe in all my singularity (by far my favorite) , I just need a side. When you belong to a couple you each have a side. Side of the bed, side of sink, side of the closet, etc., but when you are single, every side is your side so it doesn't feel like a side. I could have used "side" less in that last sentence but you get my point. When you don't share anything it's hard to feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself and then your world becomes very small. So for now....I have a side and my clothes have a side. Maybe I should get a dog?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dogs are the best.

They will sleep on your bed, too.

Aunt LaLa said...

I know...I just have to convince Brian and Andrea...

Unknown said...

Hey, I know I'm not single, but I wanted to weigh in on this. You have written very eloquently about the correlation between laundry on the bed and being single. Although a nice theory, I'm afraid it may just be a laundry issue carried on from childhood! Why do I say this? Because I've been married for 16+ years and I still put the clothes on the bed...just at the foot of it so Pete won't sleep on them. I also have them on the sofa and worse, on TOP of the dresser. And, day after day, I search through the piles looking for a specific item. "Just put them away!" I say! If you remember correctly, Mom wasn't big on us putting our clothes away. Laundry just wasn't her specialty....remember the Mt. Everest-sized pile on the deep freezer? I'm sure there is some psych-explanation for it, but I don't think it's being single. Here's another thing... forgive me, Jerry McGuire, but a man will not complete you. You complete you. If you are feeling incomplete, I recommend you spend this time of "singleness" finding out what makes you whole (and I don't mean a man). Then, and only then, can you give yourself completely to a man. Does that make sense? I hope so. I can't stress enough to you that YOU need to love YOU, and not depend on another person (male or female) to give you that wholeness. Sorry for rambling...just being a big sis!
I love you!

Aunt LaLa said...

You are so right! I forgot about that. Our laundry room at the Sheryl St. house always looked like a hurricane hit it!